When the ladies over at The Modern Proper make a dish with coconut milk and Thai red curry paste, I read no further and put it on my must try list. Those two ingredients together are my absolute favorite! But then they do something like this, and it knocks my socks off.
Pumpkin + coconut milk + red curry paste = YES!
I am beyond excited about this combination. So, of course I had to put my spin on it and make this with hardly any prep time, done in under 30 minutes and less than 10 ingredients.
It’s so good guys. Even my husband who is my hardest critic (in a good way) was shocked this came out of our kitchen and not much clean up. Let’s do this!
- Canned pumpkin purée
- Canned coconut milk
- Store-bought Thai red curry paste
You will need:
- A pressure cooker (Instant pot or something of the sort)
- Use a slow cooker (crock pot) and set on low for 4 hours.
- Use a deep skillet or pot with tight lid and simmer it all together on low heat for 25-30 minutes.
- Easily double the recipe and make this for 12 people. If using the pressure cooker or slow cooker, bring it to your next pot luck.
Make it vegan or low carb.
- Substitute the chicken for butternut squash and make this one vegan.
- Substitute the rice for cauliflower rice or serve it over butternut squash and make this one low carb.
Chicken Pumpkin Curry
This calls for a pressure cooker, but you can use a slow cooker on low for 4 hours or deep skillet with tight fitting lid and simmer on medium-low for 25-30 minutes.
- 1 can pumpkin purée
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 large chicken breasts (optional)
- 2 c butternut squash peeled and cubed (optional)
- 2 red bell peppers (julienne)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3-4 large handfuls of baby spinach
- Cashews (chopped)
- Cilantro (chopped)
- Serve over steamed rice
- Step 1 Set the pressure cooker to sauté mode. Add the pumpkin, coconut milk, red curry paste and brown sugar to the pressure cooker and whisk together. Cut chicken breast in half and/or prep the butternut squash depending on what you are opting for. When the sauce comes to a slow boil, add the peppers and chicken and/or butternut squash.
- Step 2 Set the pressure cooker on pressure cook mode for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, steam the rice.
- Step 3 When finished, use quick release to let the steam out. Shred the chicken and add the spinach. Cover for 2-3 minutes to let the spinach cook. Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro and cashews. Enjoy!