Let me first say, you do not need a cast iron skillet for this. Any oven proof skillet will do! We put all the skillets to the test and did not notice much of a difference. Second, if you are thinking thick crust is not your thing, I feel you, but this pizza is not what your thinking. The skillet method is the next best thing to using a pizza oven and a lot less work. Crisp bottom and soft on the inside.
It’s a fool proof and fun method for cooking pizza that you all need to try! Thank you to my girl Kate (the one who showed me the Loaded Hummus dip) for introducing me to another share worthy recipe.
Since we were feeding two families, we used 4 oven proof skillets and 3 balls of dough. So one ball was cut into two equal parts, and the halves were used for the smaller skillets. In the end we had two large and two small pizzas. Our cooking time was a little longer because the oven was full with all 4 skillets in there at once. Which, we noted, is something a personal pizza oven can’t do. No matter stainless or cast iron, the results were the same, perfection! I love how perfectly round they came out.
Store-bought pizza dough
Oven proof skillet
Pizza Options (Just to Name a Few)
- BBQ Chicken: Buy the pre-cooked chicken strips, store-bought BBQ sauce, red onion, mozzarella and maybe some jalapenos?
- Roasted Vegetable and Sausage: mini eggplants (sliced thin), onions (julienne) and Italian sausage all roasted on a sheet pan ahead of time. Use these are your toppings to a tomato based pizza with fresh mozzarella
- Pesto and Tomato Pizza: Pesto base (lots of great store-bought options for pesto these days), thinly cut vine ripe garden tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.
- Pepperoni and Cheese (standard and a crowd pleaser!)
Cooking time will vary depending on how many pizzas you are cooking at once. 3 balls of dough and 4 skillets at once took about 25 minutes. 1 ball of dough will be closer to 12 minutes.
- Store-bought pizza dough ball(s)
- Oil or cooking spray
- 2-3 Tbsp flour
- Marinara, pesto, alfredo, whatever sauce you choose!
- Cheese of your choice
- Honey and fresh basil (optional)
- Step 1 Prep all your toppings ahead of time. Preheat the oven to 475˚. Then, get out one, 1-pound package of store-bought dough. Cut the dough ball in half if you are using a small skillet and like a thinner crust. The smaller the pan, the thicker the crust will be. Flour your workspace so it doesn’t stick, and stretch the dough out, working it into a flattened round.
- Step 2 Once the oven is heated, place your oven safe skillet(s) in the oven for 10 minutes. Make sure your toppings are ready because once the skillet(s) come out of the oven you need to work fast.
- Step 3 Take the hot skillet(s) out and spray with cooking oil or treat with a greased paper towel to make sure the oil is coating the entire surface of the skillet. Set the dough snugly in the skillet so the dough reaches all sides of the pan.
- Step 4 Sauce, cheese and toppings go on. Then the skillet(s) go back into the hot oven pronto!
- Step 5 For one pizza, let it bake for 10-15 minutes at 475˚ until the cheese is melted, bubbling, and golden. For more than one pizza in the oven at once, it could take as long as 25 minutes.
- Step 6 Optional step: Brush the crust with a mix of honey and water. Let it rest a few minutes, top with fresh torn basil leaves, and slice. Easy and cheesy!