Chicken Shawarma is a blend of four spices that combine to make the tastiest flavor for your chicken, chicken meatballs, lamb, roasted chickpeas and even your tofu. In this recipe, we use it to flavor chicken, which is roasted on a sheet pan with the works for an exotic pita sandwich.
The warm and vibrant spice combination for Shawarma:
- Store-bought tzatziki
- Store-bought pita pockets
Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma
- 1.5 lbs skinless boneless chicken tenderloins or chicken thighs
- 1.5 c Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Cardamom
- 1 Tbsp Tumeric
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Large peppers (bell, poblano, pimento, whatever you like best)
- 1 Large onion (purple or yellow)
- 6 pita pockets
- 1 container of store-bought Tzatziki
- 4 ounces of crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 375.
- Step 2 Combine the four spices and salt in a large bowl with the yogurt and mix with a spoon. Add in the chicken and toss until coated. Quarter the onion.
- Step 3 Grease the baking sheet or use parchment paper, and arrange the chicken in the middle, the whole peppers on one side and the quartered onion on the other. Drizzle the peppers and onions with olive oil. Bake on center rack for about 20 minutes.
- Step 4 When chicken is cooked, cut the peppers into strips and set the seeds aside. Cut the chicken into strips and serve on top or inside of the pita. Top with peppers, onions and Tzatziki, and garnish with crumbled feta (optional). Enjoy!
Thank You’s and Credits
This recipe is largely the combined talent and ideas of my friend Kate and the ladies over at The Modern Proper. Kate, thanks for the lead of this recipe and sharing your hardly homemade version of this with our community! You can find their excellent version of this here, as well as many other chicken shawarma recipes on their website.
Like what Hardly Homemade is all about?
Please share, like, repost, tag… you know, all the things that will grow this community. Because the more people, the more contributors, and the more time saved in the kitchen! I appreciate you all for following along on Instagram and sharing this space with your people. Keep those ideas coming and let me know if you want to be my next guest on Instagram!