This Roasted Butternut Squash and Spinach Skillet Lasagna is the perfect baked pasta for busy fall weeknights. Seasonal roasted butternut squash and spinach jive with a creamy sauce and lasagna noodles. I love that this all comes together in one pan making clean up super easy. It’s so yummy, a little cheesy, and adaptable! You can use mild Italian sausage, plant based sausage or sun dried tomatoes to bring this dish up one more level on the Yum-O-Meter. We are going to call for sausage in this dish. If your large skillet can fit in your fridge, this is also a great dish to make ahead. Skillet lasagnas are simply genius. I love ’em!
Why am I LOVING skillet lasagnas?
- One pan cooking.
- Fast cooking.
- My kids will eat always eat this because they like their food deconstructed and this dish lends to that.
- Adaptable and flexible. For instance, If you have a family member that doesn’t eat squash you can easily work around the squash when you serve this, but I highly recommend those picky eaters give it a try.
- Go light on the carbs, or leave out the meat. Take your pick from the skillet and everyone is happy.
- Cutting board and knife
- Oven safe skillet
- Stock pot
- Can of condensed cream of celery soup
- Buy the butternut squash already peeled, seeded and cut (fresh or frozen)
- If this store-bought option is not available for you, use a fork to poke holes in your squash and roast the whole thing on the weekend. When it’s soft, cut it open, take the seeds out, and store in your fridge until you are ready to skin, cube and brown it.
- Reserve your pasta stock when you boil the noodles
Roasted Butternut Squash and Spinach Skillet Lasagna
Seasonal butternut squash, spinach, white sauce, lasagna noodles, and sausage (if you want it) all come together in one pan.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 pound of sausage or vegan sausage
- 16 oz frozen or fresh cubed butternut squash (roasted ahead of time)
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 can of cream of celery condensed soup
- 1/2 cup of pasta stock or veggie stock
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- 5 sprigs of sage or 1 Tbsp of dried sage
- 6 lasagna noodles (boiled)
- 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4-5 dollops of ricotta
- Step 1 Boil your noodles. and steam or roast the butternut squash until slightly tender but not cooked all the way through. Drain, rinse and reserve pasta stock.
- Step 2 Oven at 375 degrees. Turn burner to medium high and drizzle the olive oil in the pan. Once the pan is ready, brown the sausage and the squash. Sprinkle the squash with a little salt. When finished browning, remove from pan and set aside in a small bowl.
- Step 3 Turn heat down to medium and add the canned cream of celery, stock, milk, sage, salt and pepper to the skillet, then whisk to combine. Fold the spinach into the sauce and turn heat down to let it simmer. While simmering, roll the lasagna noodles up and tuck them into the creamy spinach. Top with cooked sausage and roasted butternut squash.
- Step 4 Place 4-5 dollops of ricotta cheese and a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese on the top of the meat and squash. Sprinkle with some dried sage or add a couple leaves of fresh sage to the top for garnish.
- Step 5 Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Enjoy!