This recipe is adapted from Whole Foods Turkey Pumpkin Chili. Sometimes I follow this recipe the way it’s written below. Other times, I leave out the meat and add an extra can of beans. All of the cans are the standard 15 ounce size, except for the diced tomatoes where I opt for the large 28 ounce-r. I am going to make the meat optional, so I can file this under Vegan. I hope you enjoy it!
- Pre-diced onion
- Lots of 15 oz cans
- You can do this in a crock pot. Put everything in the crock pot and set it on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- You can do this in the Instant Pot and set to Sauté function and add oil and all the veggies meat and spices, then lock lid and set to Pressure Cook on High for 14 minutes. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to quick release, then remove lid.
September 28, 2020
: 10 min
: 20 min
: 30 min
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers (any color), chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can pumpkin purée (not pie filling)
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Salt + pepper (to taste)
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 1 pound ground white or dark meat turkey or ground beef (optional)
- Step 1 Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, peppers, garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Step 2 If using the meat, add turkey and cook until browned.
- Step 3 Add tomatoes, pumpkin, chili powder, cumin, pumpkin pie spice, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Step 4 Reduce heat to medium low and add beans. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes more. Depending on the consistency, you may need to add some water. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro.