It’s the one where it all cooks in one vessel leaving you with hardly any clean up. Measurements are easy and the ingredients are very adaptable, making this the perfect busy weeknight family meal.
Eat the casserole in a burrito or a bowl with all the traditional Mexican toppings like sour cream, avocado, cilantro, some tortilla strips, perhaps a little extra hot sauce if you like the heat, etc…
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Mexican Casserole
November 18, 2022
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno (optional)
- 1 cup of long grain white rice (note: the instant rice won't work in this recipe)
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups water (or chicken stock)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- Mexican cheese
- Step 1 Chop the peppers and onions. Salt and pepper both sides of each chicken breast. Take out all the ingredients ahead of time because once you are prepped, this goes fast. Find the spices: chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper, and your Tablespoon to measure.
- Step 2 Press the sauté button on your Instant Pot. Pour in the olive oil as it heats. Dump in the peppers, onions, 3 tablespoons of tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of chili powder and 1 tsp (short cut: eye ball 1/3 of a tablespoon) of each of the following: cumin, oregano, kosher salt. Leave the sauté button on so it heats up as you’re adding the ingredients.
- Step 3 Give it a good stir, and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stir again. Add the 3 cups of water (or chicken stock) along with 1 cup of rice and 1 cup of corn. Give the ingredients another good stir (make sure nothing is sticking), and then immediately add the chicken pieces on top. Close the lid, set the valve to “sealing” (most IP’s do this automatically when it closes), and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Step 4 Once the countdown has completed, let the pressure release naturally for at least 5 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure. Take the chicken out and shred it, then add it back into the pot along with the can of beans (drained and rinsed) and stir again. Immediately top with Mexican cheese and cover. Press the keep warm button.
- Step 5 When you are ready to eat, quick release the steam and open. Serve in bowls with toppings like sour cream, avocado, cilantro, tortilla strips, or inside a tortilla like a burrito. Enjoy!