We are in good ‘ol Cape Cod this week. No dishwasher at this rental and not a whole lot of restaurant options in pandemic times. (I’m not complaining, just stating the facts!) So I decided to make a couple dishes ahead and bring them along with us. The goal is to cook as little as possible and not have to clean up much either. This corn salad is just that.
It pairs wonderfully with grilled fish or steamed lobster. It’s also a fabulous make ahead dish for a pot luck dinner or luncheon. I have done this in it’s original version by Sarah Leah Chase with fresh summer corn off the husk and pine nuts (and it’s so much sweeter that way), but in order to make this quick, snappy and more our style, we made some substitutions. I love this with the salty pepitas (pumpkin seeds without the shell) and frozen corn (less work). I’m so excited to have this new recipe up my sleeve because it’s done in less than 10 minutes, no cooking required and just 6 ingredients.
What’s Hardly Homemade About This Dish?
- Store-bought frozen corn or canned corn
- Store-bought pepitas
- Store-bought shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
Big thank you to my dearest friend Molly and her “salt water deer hunter”, AJ. He’s the First Mate of Maridee Charters and shared this Striper recipe with us. You can follow AJ and his deep sea fishing adventures @saltwaterdeerhunter on instagram.
Grilled Striped Bass Recipe (pictured)
- Pat the fish dry and coat with softened salted butter
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning goes on top of the butter (season well)
- Grill 6 minutes on each side starting with the skin side first.
Now here goes the Frozen Corn Salad. Enjoy!
Frozen Corn Salad with Pepitas
- 24 ounces of frozen corn (two small bags) or 2 cans of corn (rinsed and drained)
- 4 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted pepitas
- 1/2 cup fresh chives (cut on the bias)
- 2/3 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
- Salt (optional)
- Step 1 Defrost the frozen corn by rinsing it in lukewarm water. If using canned corn, drain and rinse well and transfer to your serving bowl.
- Step 2 Pour white wine vinegar and olive oil over corn then mix. Add in cheese, pepitas and chives then mix again. Salt to taste. Done!